Okay, I have really enjoyed working on this series but guys, I think THIS is the best recipe I have tried. And there are still two more to go. Hold on to your hats because they are going to be blown off by this insane cheese sauce. It is smooth, velvety and almost like the sauce you get at OPTP. I generally don’t like comparing home-cooked food to restaurants but this sauce is right up there.
I took this recipe from Food52 and I stuck to it pretty much. I think I sprinkled far too many spices but you know what, we can all use a lot of cayenne pepper. I also used Havarti cheese instead of Monterrey Jack because it was what I could find but you know, good ol’ cheddar will work for this sauce as well. Alright so let’s jump into the recipe.
Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons green chiles, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Olper’s Cream
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (I made buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon vinegar to 3/4 cup of milk and leaving it for 5 mins)
- 2 ounces Havarti cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bag frozen fries
- Pickled jalapenos
- Lay out your frozen fries on a greased baking sheet and chuck in the oven for 40 mins at 200C. Bake until golden and cooked through. Alternatively, you can fry your chips. Chop all your veggies and keep ready. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over low heat in a sauté pan. Add the onion, green chiles, tomato, turmeric, paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes until the onion softens completely.
2. Add the remaining butter and the flour, and continue to cook on low for another 2 minutes. Add the cream, ½ cup of the buttermilk and cheese and stir to until the cheese melts. Add in the remaining buttermilk a little at a time until you get a velvety sauce, about 10 minutes.
3. Transfer the sauce to a blender and pulse until completely smooth. Stream in the olive oil and continue to blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with over fries and add pickled jalapenos.
These fries are going to take you to heaven, I am not even kidding. The fam gobbled these up and the sauce was gone in a day.
“I want to dip everything in this, pakoras, everything.” actual feedback from Amna so you know it’s legit.
Do try this recipe and let me know? Please? Pretty please? With cheese sauce on top? Ok, going now.
Disclaimer: Post made in collaboration with Olper’s Cream. All opinions are 100% cheesy and ours so don’t doubt us in any way.